Sunday, February 13, 2011

How to choose a Church


I moved back to Alabama in 1990, and began visiting a Bible Church. 

I really like the in depth teaching, and the worship experience in their Singles' Group; however, it was a little small.

It only averaged about 20 Singles. There was a large Baptist Church nearby, and my parents encouraged me to attend their Singles Group that met an 11:00 AM.

What I decided to do was attend the Bible Church's worship service at 8:00 AM, and the Bible Church's Singles Class at 9:30 AM, and then run over to the large Baptist Church's Singles Group at 11:00 AM.

I had the best of both worlds. I got the worship and in depth teaching at the Bible Church's Singles, and the fellowship of the Baptist Church's Singles which averaged about 100 to 200 people.

I actually meet my futher wife after 2 or 3 Sundays at the Baptist Church, so
I joined the Baptist Church and eventually went their exclusively. 

Recently, my son has been begging to visit the Student ministry at a nearby Church.

Not that our Church's Student ministry doesn't have a great ministry, but he just likes the worship experience better at the other Church.

Kind of like I used to prefer the Singles worship at the Bible Church over the Baptist Church when I was younger. 

Because the other Church believes a little different than the way that we believe, I explained to my son the differences.

I wanted to attend the Student's service with my son to feel things out; however, he didn't want me to embarrass him. I decided to attend the service for the adults.

To me, the adult Church wasn't fun, and it didn't appeal to me.

Because the adults let out a little earlier than the Students, I snuck into the back of the Student's service, and listened for about 10 minutes.

In contrast, the Student's service was a blast, fun, and worshipful, so I can see why my son wanted to attend.

When I was a teen, I was forced into attending Church functions that I hated, so I want my son to want to go to Church. 

I'm okay if he wants to go to Church on Wednesday night elsewhere even if it is at someone else's church.

What I'm all about is following hard after God, and my covenant is first with Him and not with a certain Church.

Sure, it is easier to attend just one Church, and it's great if you can do it.

However, if another nearby Church may have something that better meets your needs, I say do 2 or even 3 Churches if you have too.

Find out what Church does the best at what, and attend whatever best meets your needs, and follow hard after God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Signs of the times

 There will be an increase of wickedness (Matthew 24:9-13, 36,  2 Timothy 3:1-5).  There will be world wide satellite technology (Revelation...