Thursday, August 23, 2018

Authority Before Praying

Anyone who is under authority is in authority.  

Out of the blue, Jesus receives a request from a Roman military officer... 

Luke 7:1-10  (NKJV)

 

Now when He concluded all His sayings in the hearing of the people, He entered Capernaum. 

The Sermon on the Mount had just concluded. 

And a certain centurion’s servant, who was dear to him, was sick and ready to die. 

This centurion had a genuine concern for those who worked for him.    

So when he heard about Jesus, he sent elders of the Jews to Him, pleading with Him to come and heal his servant.
And when they came to Jesus, they begged Him earnestly, saying that the one for whom He should do this was deserving, 

It was really important to these elders for Jesus to answer this request.  

Not only did the centurion love them, they loved him back. 

“for he loves our nation, and has built us a synagogue.”

The centurion showed his love with acts of kindness by building their community a place of worship with his own funds.  

Then, Jesus went with them. 

And when He was already not far from the house, the centurion sent friends to Him, saying to Him, “Lord, do not trouble Yourself, for I am not worthy that You should enter under my roof. 

Although the elders said that the centurion was deserving of his request, he disagreed by saying I'm not worthy! 

Not only to have this request answered, but also to have Jesus to come inside my home.   

Therefore, I did not even think myself worthy to come to You. 

But say the word, and my servant will be healed.
For I also am a man placed under authority, having soldiers under me. 

And I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes; and to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.

What the centurion saw in Jesus was the mighty invisible kingdom of the Lord our God, and he saw the Romans, the rulers of this world that he worked for, as puny in comparison.
  
He saw Jesus as an Officer of the Most High, and he was in awe, but not so much so as to not ask Jesus for this small favor.       

When Jesus heard these things, He marveled at him, and turned around and said to the crowd that followed Him, “I say to you, I have not found such great faith, not even in Israel!” 

The centurion saw the mighty power of God working through Jesus, and his little request as insignificant.  

He had great faith in Jesus' big God, and no faith in his little bitty problem.  

10 And those who were sent, returning to the house, found the servant well who had been sick.

 It was the faith of Jesus speaking in the centurion's own mouth that made the difference. 

This centurion got God's attention.  

He understood authority! 
I have authority because I am under authority.
  
I always pray for four authorities.
   
1. Family authority- My Father has passed, and my wife Tammy's parents have passed.
  
My authorities are my mom and my older brother.
  
My brother is my family authority although I am his ministry authority because he works for me.
When we meet as a family together, he always leads in praying.
  
2.  Governmental authority- Never filter how you feel about your authorities to pray for them.
  
We are to pray for our enemies. 

Surely, we can pray for our authorities.

I pray for the President, Vice President, Supreme Court, Congress, Governor, Mayor, the Police and Fire Departments.
    
3. Work or School authority. Mine are the trustees and overseers of this ministry.

   
4. Spiritual authority.  
I expect the devil to obey when I speak because I am man under authority.
   

Anyone who is under authority is in authority.  
In read is Scripture. 
In purple are my (M. H. Dennis) notes. 
In yellow are Chris Hodges' notes of Church of the Highlands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Signs of the times

 There will be an increase of wickedness (Matthew 24:9-13, 36,  2 Timothy 3:1-5).  There will be world wide satellite technology (Revelation...