Monday, October 29, 2018

From Broken to Blessed


We are all from a broken family because we have all been broken by sin.


1. Give me.

Every child starts in the give me stage.  It's all about me.  We start here spiritually too.  God doesn't resent it because He doesn't expect more out of babies.  


We get saved out of selfishness.  We get saved because we want God to get us out of the mess that we're in.  


Marriages start in the give me stage too.  We want our spouse to meet our needs.  Some of our needs only God can meet.  


  

Luke 15:12 NKJV
12 And the younger of them said to his father, ‘Father, give me the portion of goods that falls to me.’ So he divided to them his livelihood.




Matthew 26:14-15 NKJV
14 Then one of the twelve, called Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests 15 and said, “What are you willing to give me if I deliver Him to you?” And they counted out to him thirty pieces of silver.




2. Use me.


Some of us want to be used so that we can be seen. We get saved because of selfishness; however, we ask God to use me out of selfish ambition. According to the Bible, ambition is self promotion.    


Philippians 2:3 NKJV
3 Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.


Strong’s: Ambition is electioneering for office. A desire to put one’s self forward, a partisan and fractious spirit. A self-seeking pursuit of political office by unfair means. Selfishness or self-promoting in your heart.




Acts 8:19 NKJV
19 saying, “Give me this power also, that anyone on whom I lay hands may receive the Holy Spirit.”


If another person cannot make us happy, then we do something to make us happy.  A lot of people divorce in this "use me" stage. A lot of times this happens about 10 years into marriage.  


God did not create marriage to make us happy.  God knows that the only way to be happy is to die to self.  God helps us to die to self through marriage.  We must surrender our rights to the other person.  Dying to self makes us happy.   




Luke 15:13 NKJV
13 And not many days after, the younger son gathered all together, journeyed to a far country, and there wasted his possessions with prodigal living.


3. Search me.


Luke 15:17 NKJV
17 “But when he came to himself, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!


When the prodigal son searched his own heart for sin, he began to change.  If you want a blessed marriage, fix yourself.  I'm responsible for my own actions and  reactions.  God is focusing on what I'm doing not what people are doing to me that's causing me to react.     




Psalms 139:23-24 KJV
23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: 24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.


4. Make me (a servant).


Luke 15:19 NKJV
19 and I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Make me like one of your hired servants.” ’



Luke 15:29 NKJV
29 So he answered and said to his father, ‘Lo, these many years I have been serving you; I never transgressed your commandment at any time; and yet you never gave me a young goat, that I might make merry with my friends.


The older son had the same attitude that the younger son had, but never left home. The older son was in the "give me" stage.  


Luke 15:31 NKJV
31 “And he said to him, ‘Son, you are always with me, and all that I have is yours.


It's not what God can give me, but God wants to be with me.  Blessed means happy.  Some people feel guilty when God begins to bless them.  God wants to bless you because God loves to give.  However, He loves to be with you more. Quit thinking why would God want to bless me?  Start thinking why wouldn't God want to bless me because He is a good God? 


Ask the Lord what are you saying to me through these words?  We could be at the Stage 4 "make me" stage, and can drift back to a Stage 1 "give me" stage.  Holy Spirit, please draw me close to yourself.  Lord Jesus, be my Lord and Savior.  

Excerpts taken from Robert Morris, Gateway Church 
http://gatewaypeople.com/ministries/life/events/blessed-families-a-gateway-series/session/2018/10/27/from-broken-to-blessed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Signs of the times

 There will be an increase of wickedness (Matthew 24:9-13, 36,  2 Timothy 3:1-5).  There will be world wide satellite technology (Revelation...