Sunday, April 28, 2019

The Underdog



The odds may be against us, but do not count us out.  God can flip the script, and turn our lives around.  



Philippians 1:6 (NLT)
And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns. 




When we come to Christ, we have started a race.  We need to get a plan to finish what we have started.  




1 Corinthians 9:24-27 (NLT)
24 Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! 25 All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. 26 So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing. 27 I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.




While running a marathon, we must run through three barriers.  




1.  When we run out of strength.  


2.  When we run out of desire.  Then, we run the wrong race. 


3.  When we run out of vision.  Then, circumstances call the shots.  






Galatians 5:7-8 (NLT)
You were running the race so well. Who has held you back from following the truth? It certainly isn’t God, for he is the one who called you to freedom.




Finishing well is taking small steps in the right direction.  




1. We must run in faith. 


2 Timothy 4:6-7 (NLT)
As for me, my life has already been poured out as an offering to God. The time of my death is near. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful.




A good fight is one that we win.  If God's plan for me is not happening, I'm not winning.  


Fight against the things that bind you.  



Luke 5:18-20  (NLT)
18 Some men came carrying a paralyzed man on a sleeping mat. They tried to take him inside to Jesus, 19 but they couldn’t reach him because of the crowd. So they went up to the roof and took off some tiles. Then they lowered the sick man on his mat down into the crowd, right in front of Jesus. 20 Seeing their faith, Jesus said to the man, “Young man, your sins are forgiven.”




Get around friends who refuse to let you lose.  




2. Run with purpose.  




Hebrews 12:1 (NLT)
12 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.



Runners must train their bodies.  Purpose is more important than feelings. 




Watch your intake of things and people.  If they're not helping us win our race, we must disconnect. 





Hebrews 12:2 (NLT)
We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy[b] awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne. 




Jesus didn't finish for a trophy, but for our example.
  


3. Run full of faith.  



Paul had plenty of opportunities to give up.  



2 Corinthians 11:23-27 (NLT)
... have worked harder, been put in prison more often, been whipped times without number, and faced death again and again. 


24 Five different times the Jewish leaders gave me thirty-nine lashes. 


25 Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked. Once I spent a whole night and a day adrift at sea. 


26 I have traveled on many long journeys. I have faced danger from rivers and from robbers. I have faced danger from my own people, the Jews, as well as from the Gentiles. I have faced danger in the cities, in the deserts, and on the seas. And I have faced danger from men who claim to be believers but are not. 


27 I have worked hard and long, enduring many sleepless nights. I have been hungry and thirsty and have often gone without food. I have shivered in the cold, without enough clothing to keep me warm.






Where do you feel that you fit in the passage above?




Mark 10:27(NLT)
27 Jesus looked at them intently and said, “Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But not with God. Everything is possible with God.”




The journey is hard.  It is frustrating.  Is it possible with God?  Yes!




How did Paul start the race that he finished?




Acts 9:18 (NLT)
18 Instantly something like scales fell from Saul’s (Paul's) eyes, and he regained his sight. Then he got up and was baptized.




Baptism seals the deal.  It is a symbol of your cleansing, and your new life in Jesus after you've made Him your Lord.  


It's like a wedding band in marriage. It is a public statement.  


It's saying hold me accountable.  Please pray for me.  Don't count me out. I've surrendered my life to Jesus. 




Chris Erwin, Church of the Highlands
https://www.churchofthehighlands.com/media/message/living-to-finish

No comments:

Post a Comment

Signs of the times

 There will be an increase of wickedness (Matthew 24:9-13, 36,  2 Timothy 3:1-5).  There will be world wide satellite technology (Revelation...