Sunday, January 19, 2020

God's Presence in my pain


https://www.churchofthehighlands.com/media/message/no-pain-no-gain

God moves powerfully in our pain.  Our response to our pain defines us. 



Psalm 34:18 (NLT)
18 The Lord is close to the brokenhearted;
    he rescues those whose spirits are crushed.


In pain, we see the bigness of God.  When something is happening to me, God wants to do something in me.  If  you are having pain, God is getting close.
  


Isaiah 6:5 (NLT)

Then I (Isaiah) said, “It’s all over! I am doomed, for I am a sinful man. I have filthy lips, and I live among a people with filthy lips. Yet I have seen the King, the Lord of Heaven’s Armies.”




When you see how big God is, you see how small you are.  When we see God clearly, we see ourselves clearly.  Condemnation just shames us for what we've done.  Conviction shows us how we can change.
  


Isaiah 6:6-8  (NLT)

Then one of the seraphim flew to me with a burning coal he had taken from the altar with a pair of tongs. He touched my lips with it and said, “See, this coal has touched your lips. Now your guilt is removed, and your sins are forgiven.”
Then I heard the Lord asking, “Whom should I send as a messenger to this people? Who will go for us?”
I said, “Here I am. Send me.”



When we see ourselves clearly, we'll see our future clearly.  What we are going through redefines our purpose.   Life is not about pleasure but meaning.  Meaning is what gives us pleasure.  We must work on something that matters.  We must find meaning beyond our suffering. 



Genesis 50:20 (NLT) 

20 You (my brothers) intended to harm me (by selling me, Joseph, as a slave), but God intended it all for good. He brought me to this position so I could save the lives of many people (God promoted Joseph from being a slave to prevent the starvation of Joseph's family in Egypt).   


Romans 8:28 (NLT)

28 And we know that God causes everything to work together[a] for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.


My pain is either a jail that prisons me, or a school that empowers me. 


1. Stop running from God, but run to God. 

God never said that bad things would never happen to us, but that He would deliver us from it.  


Isaiah 55:6  (NLT)

Seek the Lord while you can find him.
    Call on him now while he is near.


Jeremiah 29:13  (NLT)

13 If you look for me (God) wholeheartedly, you will find me.


2. Take steps to grow. 


1 Peter 2:2-3 (NLT)

Like newborn babies, you must crave pure spiritual milk so that you will grow into a full experience of salvation. Cry out for this nourishment, now that you have had a taste of the Lord’s kindness.




3. Allow God to use what we've been through to help others.  


Some of us won't step forward because of what we went through.  What you have been through does not disqualify you, but qualifies you.  


2 Corinthians 1:3-4 (NLT)


All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort. He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Signs of the times

 There will be an increase of wickedness (Matthew 24:9-13, 36,  2 Timothy 3:1-5).  There will be world wide satellite technology (Revelation...